Leland Kriegh's Blog

Leland Kriegh's Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 3 Reading - The Art of Possibility

This book has triggered a lot of contemplation. There are so many things going on in my life that I reflect upon as I read this book. I am struggling between the ideas presented in The Art of Possibility with my own predicament. My career is something that I love but I am working at a place that I do not love. In fact, I would characterize it as toxic. I do not expect to fully understand the principles in this book, at least at this time. Maybe if I did better understand and was able to employ the principles in this book, the passion and possibility would flow out of me and would cause those around me to fart sunshine. Right now, I don't have it in me.
I specially related to comparison of the comparative self and the central self. I'm not so sure if I agree as to how people develop their comparative self, but I do believe that the comparative self as described in the book not only exists, but is encouraged in our culture. This is where religion and philosophy comes in. The central self describes my view of Christianity quite well. I realize that when I “stray,” I behave more as the comparative self. Good stuff.
The saying, “It is what it is,” is overused; however, the idea is a starting point for Chapter 7. Years ago, I read a series of books by Thích Nhất Hạnh and I took these ideas to heart. I know on a few occasions, I have annoyed others when after what they thought they told me was bad news, I responded, “is it?” Things may seem one way at first but we must have patience and the ability to view a broader picture to better understand (or not) events which unfold in our lives.
BTFI. Damn, I love this part. I know those times in my life where I have gone beyond the FI. In fact, I've done it several times in this program. It does feel good. I am looking forward to getting to a place professionally where I want to strive BTFI.

No comments:

Post a Comment